So this was not my idea but I liked it so much I couldn’t help but use it for my own. I heard by way of Jackie that this started with Aussa who likewise stole it from other talented writers like Samara, Beth, Angelle, and Daile. While some of these are variations on a theme, all of them are now followed by me based on my own discoveries of their work. Regardless, if you don’t like this idea or this post feel free to blame Jackie.
So without further ado: 21 Things I Irrationally Love
1. Thunderstorms – I mean not just the little rumblers. I love the big booming ones where the lightning lights up every room of your house that has a window no matter how tightly the blinds are drawn. I especially love it when that’s the only light you get because inevitably the power has been knocked out.
2. The heat – The sunnier and the hotter the better. Not that crappy heat where it’s all humid and 90 feels like 100. I mean a nice dry heat where 110 feels like 110 in the shade and you can’t escape the burning rays of the sun. I want to be out on the beach in this kind of heat on an exhaustive run where I can’t get enough water.
3. Running – All the stuff about it. The pain, the soreness, the slowness, the quiet, the lonieness, the trails, the road, the view. I can’t get enough of it.
4. Books – Big fat ones that drone on and on about some imaginary world that makes no sense what-so-ever. Huge piles of these books would be great. A whole library full of them. There is nothing quite like that new book smell.
5. Snakes – I often dream of being swallowed by a snake (Don’t look at me like that.)
6. Oreos – Those delicious little heart attack waiting to happen cookie sandwiches will be my downfall.
7. Driving cross-country alone – I’ve done it 6 times both ways. There’s something about sleeping at a rest stop and knowing that if you were kidnapped and killed no one would ever find your body that really makes one feel alive.
8. Sleeping outside of a bed – The couch, the floor, a sleeping bag under the stars, a towel on a secluded beach. All of these give me a better night of sleep than my bed.
9. Mathematics – Some just love to hate it. I love to love it in all it’s various forms. I love all the horrible math puns and jokes that go along with it too.
10. Richard Simmons – That man is an inspiration. Period.
11. Human Resources work – There is something invigorating about pouring over volumes of law text that even the stoutest Harvard lawyer would find dry, interpreting that text, turning that interpretation into company policy, explaining it to the manager in layman’s terms, being told that I’m wrong, and then citing the law I just poured over, and then never being thanked for helping the manager avoid a huge lawsuit. God I love that.
12. Bowling – That’s just good clean fun.
14. Chess – The depth, the intrigue, the 6 hour games. It’s practically riveting in every sense.
15. Playing with fire – I know I might get burned, but that’s the thrill.
16. Baseball – I pay for nine innings. I show up for the first pitch and I stay until the last out. If the game goes into extra inning, well that’s just free baseball in my opinion.
17. Blogging – Well writing more so in general. I love the bleeding at the keyboard, pouring out your heart and soul, the inevitable rejection, the wrestling matches with editors. But then again well-adjusted people rarely make good writers.
18. Bad books – Bad writing in general. It always makes me feel better about my own writing.
19. Rain – I’m Only Happy When it Rains
20. Rebecca Romijn – Even before she fixed that gap between her front teeth.
21. Circuses – The lights, the clowns, the crowded seats, and overpriced snacks. Yep all of that please.